Apr
21
2009
0

Country Store in Randolph Country

 Asheboro, North Carolina

When Ashley was photographing this unique country store and gas station he thought it had been located here since the 1930’s but actually it was built in 1977 by a man who is a collector and restorer of things past.

All the building materials were either salvaged or collected at auctions from homes or buildings that were either being demolished or restored.  The beams were from an old ammunitions plant in the county.   The siding was retrieved from an older home and the front doors came from a barn.  The flooring, windows and beaded ceiling are from a building that was being demolished.  The columns for the foundation as well as the steps are Mount Airy Granite from an old home in Asheboro.  The counters inside the store were purchased at auction in Seagrove, North Carolina.

When Darrell had collected enough materials he designed and built the store from photographs as well as old stores and gas stations that he visited through the years.

All the gas pumps and signs outside the store as well as the contents inside are all original there are no reproductions.

Inside, the woodstove is a US Army Cannon Heater that was found beside a railroad tract the burns coal or wood.  There are Coco Cola posters from 1947 that were found under a linoleum rug in a home that was being remolded, a kerosene pump circa 1900 from the Brower Pump Company as well as an 1898 patent glass dome for a gas pump.  There are bank ledgers that were purchased at a warehouse sale in Franklinville, NC dating back to 1899 from the Bank of Randolph, the first bank in Randolph County.

This is just a small sample of antiques and memorabilia that line the shelves and counters of this country store.  Here you are taken back in time when enjoying a game of checkers and swapping stories was the way to spend and afternoon-

Kay

Written by admin in: Fine Art Photography |

Powered by WordPress | Theme: Aeros 2.0 by TheBuckmaker.com